Reading
3
Comments
Hello there! I'm finally back with part 2 of my coffee-or-tea journey series. Let's get into it, shall we? we freaking shall!
SUPY Flights
2 months in training college couldn't have passed by any faster. From a scared little abinitio to a crew ready to boomerang meal trays to the passengers, just in a blink of an eye! But despite all the training I've gone through, I felt like I knew nothing at all about operating a flight and it was ridiculous how nervous I was. The first 2 flights for every crew is called a supernumerary flight or what we call SUPY - one on the A380 and the other on B777. We are basically an additional member of the team who is there to observe and familiarize ourselves with how things are done on board. So we actually have no responsibility like arming or disarming the door or something like that, we are just there to learn. The coolest thing about being a supy is that I got to sit in the cockpit for takeoff and landing. The captain and the first officer showed me how everything works, let me listen to the radio (which I understood nothing), and told me when I could stand up to look at the spectacular view. It had always been my dream to sit in a cockpit so it's definitely a moment I'll remember forever.
18 December 2015 was the day of my first turnaround flight on B777 to Amman, Jordan. The Purser took me around the aircraft, showing me things I needed to know. I tried to help as much as possible with the service, but being very new, I was just so nervous that I'd slow everyone down so I was more trying not to get in anyone's way because it's such a short flight and everything was in a rush. The flight was mediocre, nothing special about it and honestly nothing much to remember as a first flight haha except for when one crew took a 'candid' photo of me and stuck in on the galley for the rest of the flight lol
My second supy flight, however, was amazing. It was supposed to be Frankfurt but it changed last minute to London Heathrow. All my cabin supervisors were super nice and so was the crew. I double-ended meal carts, bar carts and clearance carts, answered call bells, and so on. I actually had so much fun on this flight, despite the fact that London flight has many bad reputations haha. There was this one kid who told us that he has flown with Emirates many times but this crew is the best one and he drew us pictures and it was the cutest thing ever. Such a memorable flight for me :) Since it's a layover, I got to spend 24 hours there in London. My friends were unable to meet me because I was there on such short notice so I went on a nostalgic walk around South Kensington where I went for summer school 3 summers ago. I also went to Oxford street to do some shopping. I literally walked ALL day, came back to the hotel to change and do my makeup and hair and then went for a flight haha
So, how is flying so far?
Until now, it has been almost 3 months since I have started flying - crazy! This job really showed me that time doesn't stop for anybody. It passes by so so fast and we spend most of it in the air. So time has become even more precious to me. I try to do sooo much in 24 hours of layover I get in each city. Sometimes I barely get any sleep at all (but I sleep way too much in Dubai anyway so it's compensated for haha).
Of course, I can't say I've enjoyed every bit of it because there were also times when I felt tired and somewhat discouraged. Dealing with 300+ people, you naturally feel like your soul gets sucked away and want to just scream and jump out of the exit from mid air from time to time lol. But it's only for a short while and there would always be positive sides for me to look at and get back on track again.
Despite injuring myself on every flight, The perk of this job is definitely the fact that we literally get paid to travel, to see the world. It still amazes me every time when I realize I'm actually in another country already. One day I'm cooking at home and the next thing I know, I'm sitting in the tube in London. It's an opportunity that I don't think I can get from anywhere else. No matter how exhausted I am from a flight, especially layovers, I know there's a city for me to explore at the end of the day and nothing could be more exciting than that. Another thing I love about this job is the people I meet, both crew and passengers (and even in each country!). It's an amazing time working with a great team of crew. There's nothing like getting along with people you've only known for hours. But my favourite is when I really get a chance to talk to passengers and find out their stories. The story can be as simple as where they traveled to and where they will go next or how a couple met and got married. I find them so fascinating and enjoyable. And I know that passengers are also eager to find out more about us too so not only I enjoy hearing their stories, I also like sharing my part as well. For me it's all these simple things that make this job so unique and rewarding.
Now I am still looking forward to more good things to come and more cities to explore. From this month on I can already bid for destinations! I am soooo excited for it. And I'll keep you updated on how things go so keep an eye out for many more blog posts to come! :)
cheers! xx





3 Comments
look forward to reading more stories! have fun and susu na jaa :D
ReplyDeleteI know how u feel, I always get at least 2 black marks from each fly..as if I needed a reminder...i wish my reminder could be the cookies in dry stores instead..bring clumsy is not good for my body health
ReplyDeleteWoohoo (: enjoy na ka .
ReplyDelete